Monday, August 20, 2007

That Sinking Feeling

Yeah, the feeling that no one likes you, no one is paying attention to you, everything you do is crap? Thats the core of the Eternal n00b. I've been thinking about that, as I check everyday for new comments on this blog and finding none. (Except the excellent shout out from BRK, which is in and of itself, almost a seal of approval from the God of Hunter Blogs.)

I've begun to start telling friends about this site, I put a link to it in my Guild's Forums (on the bottom of my signature) and I'm just hoping that people kinda of find their way here.

And yet, I still have that sinking feeling, that this just isn't good enough for the general public, and I think I know why: This blog doesn't know that it is. That it is a World of Warcraft blog is undeniable, but I meant this blog as a forum and guide for all of us with that sinking feeling that we just don't know well enough what we are doing. It was supposed to be filled little tips and tricks to make the reader feel like, well at least if they didn't know what they were doing, could at least fake it. Of course, up to now, it has only been about me and things that concern me. I hope to change that... in the future, as for today, I will share another one of those sinking feeling stories and maybe by example someone will learn something.

So getting ready for a Kara run yesterday, sitting in the main Vent chat room talking to two other people, when one says "Beast Mastery is stupid, any hunter who is a beast master is stupid." At first, my intention was to crawl into a hole, he had an opinion and I didn't want a fight. Then I thought, how could this person say that? That's when I remembered -- this person, playing a level 70 hunter, is not a level 70 hunter, they just inherited that character from someone who quit the game. So, I stood up for BM hunters everywhere "You have no idea what you are talking about, Beast Mastery is currently the highest DPS hunter tree in raids." "Well, but..." He starts to say, "Look," I retort, "I have played a hunter from level 1 to level 70, I have studied this class in depth and I know what I am talking about, Beast Master is a very good tree." That shut the other guy up for a while and the third hunter in the conversation went on to say that all the Hunter Trees are pretty good now, and it really depends upon your play style -- a very true statement.

So here what I hope the reader will take away from this:

When someone questions your deeply held beliefs or states an out and out fallacy as truth, tell them they are wrong-- forcefully-- having references to back you up also help, but don't just let them spout off their stupidness, people might start to believe them, and then where would we be?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you'll do fine. I suspect that a lot of hunters -- really, a lot of players -- have that sinking feeling all the time. I know I do. Faking your way through life is way more widespread than anyone wants to believe. :>

(Incidentally, I added you to my blogroll after the last post but neglected to comment. Sorry about that!)

BRK said...

If you get one comment per 100 visitors you're doing fabulous. That may seem really low, but we average 3500 visitors per day and only get 20-40 comments per day.

Don't write for comments; write for yourself.

Anonymous said...

EN, you are doing great. I found your site today via BRK's site(All Hail the Almighty). I really have enjoyed your posts so far and found it to be an inviting place for all WoW players' inner noobs to stretch their arms and legs and not worry about some jerk calling them loser because they aren't aware of one thing or another...

Edger for the next post! BTW, put EN on my RSS link bar :)

Anonymous said...

Oh about the Vent event. A similar situation happened on my Vent when on our Priests (he doesn't even have a hunter) said that all hunters were BM and those who were BM were noobs. Now, I was in the channel along with my pal who is a MM hunter. He, of course, responded that he was MM and I then responded that I was BM. Then responded that since BC BM had become a just as powerful tree as MM and it all came down to play style. The priest promptly changed the subject.

I just had to laugh. I barely feel comfortable talking about hunters with other hunters. How this guy had the conjones to talk about another class and with such derision was beyond me.

Anonymous said...

Might be an idea to focus more on the noob-theme of this blog?
I'm sure many people have great stories to tell which you could use or even discuss. (kind of like the mails BRK receives)

I myself saved up all my silver at level 13 (or close to that) so i could buy a huge 2H sword at Woo Ping (at least the dude next to him) in SW and i was soooo happy with it! It had no stats at all but every mob i hit went down alot faster then when using my previous gray weapon. On my defense don't think i had ever had seen a green item that far :P

Hershey said...

You're not alone, EN, as the previous comments state. As a level 70 demonology warlock, I get it all the time. Vent the other night went something like this:

Affliction Warlock: Demonology sucks.

Me: Why's that?

AW: They just don't do enough sustained damage.

Me: Have you ever run an instance with me?

AW: No. From what other guildies say, you haven't run anything in 2 months.

Me: True. Let's run Shadow Labs.

We run SL. No wipes, clean run, good loot, and I lead the damage output. After griping, Affliction Warlock starts questioning me.

Me: Why, no. I'm not keyed or geared for Kara. I've never seen it.

Basically, if the healer can and will throw a bone to my minion, I can offtank just about anything. That's why teamwork works so well in this game and there's no one "right" way to play it. Keep doing what you're doing and everything else will work out in the end.

Arren - US Quel'Dorei

Anonymous said...

I just found this blog (thanks to BRK) and definitely think that you have nothing to worry about. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Talk about n00bness... I was lvl 30ish before I even discovered the AH. When I purchased items I made my choice based on how it looked not stats. At the time I had no idea how Agility, Stamina, and Intelect could improved my toons survivability and damage. Even at lvl 60 I didn't have a good grasp of what I was doing. During my first UBRS run it came time for the Hunter (Me)to kite the general while the rest of the group downed his buddies. The leader says "so you rdy to kite this guy" ? I say "what do you mean by Kite?" I've learned allot since then but still consider myself a n00b at lvl 70. Thanks for giving us a place to share some of our early huntard stories. Great Blog by the way.