Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Sticky Targets?

One of the options on the WoW Interface is a sticky target option. Meaning, once you target an enemy that target does not become un-targeted until you or they are dead. (Or until you hit 'esc' but thats not as dramatic.) So as a n00b hunter, you might think -- hey this sticky target thing is great... I click on the target and then if I mis-click something on my screen I don't lose my target. However that does not work with Hunters on Crowd Control duty so well, because you must shift targets pretty quickly and slamming the escape, when you are already slamming a bunch of keys for your Shot Sequence Macro, pet health, Procs, Pots, stones, trinkets etc. Just too much for my n00bified mind to even conceive. So inevitably, somewhere in the middle of the boss fight, I find myself spending 3 to 5 seconds doing nothing -- except mashing keys and causing no damage whatsoever. And, since I have just tried to convince everyone on my Kara raid team that my current specs is the best because of all the DPS is output -- its rather embarrassing. I can only hope that everyone else in the raid is just too busy to notice my n00bishness

2 comments:

Guitgoin said...

Hey, I'm pretty new to the game and have leveled my hunter to 67. I currently use sticky targets and when doing crowd control I'll tend to click on my pet's picture to deselect my soon to be trapped mob. I guess a better solution would be to use macros; especially after reading some of the macros on BRK's blog. I just haven't tried them out yet... I'll blame it on being too busy trying to get to 70 for now. What are your experiences now with that situation?

The Eternal n00bie said...

Macros are great, but I'm gonna let you in on my dirty little secret. I hate CC. I mean Hunters never had to do serious CC for a long time, because we could only use traps out of combat, so I never got much training on it. Since the change, I have tried macros for CC, but I haven't found one that I am comforatable enough to let handle the whole /stop casting /assist focus thing.