Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Reputation -- What's that?

I'm trying to remember when I first became cognizant of the fact that there was even a reputation tab on my character portrait. I do know that the first time I was aware of Reputation was my first visit to Menethril Harbor when I went up to guy with the horses and he told me I had to be Exalted with Stormwind before I could get one.

I was a level 20 Night Elf who had just ventured off of Teldrassil for first time ever and kept taking the boat all around to explore this strange new world.

But I never took the time to analysis or even worry about rep until I got to Desolace and needed it for the whole Centaur thing, and even then I didn't really care about it until Argent Dawn and Timbermaw, when you could actually get some cool stuff by getting higher reps.

(Oh... I have a whole n00bish story about Argent Dawn Rep Rewards that I will tell sometime soon.. It was so stupid and it cost me a 1/3 of my gold!)

Anyway, you would think that by the time I got to Outland, I would know enough about Rep to not be stupid -- do things in the right order to maximize rep grinds. Well if you thought that, you'd be wrong. I barreled through Hellfire Peninsula and I'm still 3500 rep points away from being Revered with Honor Hold. (And they have some really nice rewards too!)

So, first and foremost, before you start a rep grind, do your research. wowwiki is the best for getting the nitty gritty on how to maximize your rep grinding points. (For example, it tells me that the first thing I should have done in Hellfire is kill Shattered Hands until I was Friendly, then I could start doing the quests, but I was anxious to get leveling so I did the quest for the experience right away, thats a n00b move.) There is also a Reputation Calculator that shows how to maximize your grind based on your armory profile, but its not working right now (40,000 hits crashed the free web service that was hosting it).

Now, I'm not saying abandon all fun or your playing style to maximize Rep, but if it is important you, look at the rewards and the best way to get the reputation and then go about doing it your own way.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rep is a horrible, horrible silent time killer. I have been playing the game for over two years and it was only during BC that I even bothered to look at my rep. My poor mage isn't even exalted with any of the alliance factions! Now I find myself looking at hours, upon hours of Rep grinds for my hunter and mage due to all the lovely rewards and heroic keys they need. Lord help me...

Mehdi said...

May I ask where you found that info bit about killing Shattered Hands until Friendly? I just got to Outlands with my BM Hunter (first char to outland, so classify as a n00bie) and I would like to do Outlands correctly. So could you recommend a link to a rep grinding article/guide? Thx!
And btw, your blog achieves in me exactly what you meant for it to achieve. It makes me comfortable in my n00byness :)

Gauntlet said...

I find it to be a poor mechanic that means you should have to backload all your quests - if we're supposed to do that to get to Revered, the quests shouldn't open until the point where it makes the most sense to take them. Rep grinds are frustrating, because grinds are frustrating.

Anonymous said...

i for one like this blog,

rep however, i feel differently about, as i grind my way to exalted with kurenai (not for the mount, but for the beads!!! i need beads!)

-steve

The Eternal n00bie said...

Mehdi:

On wowwiki they have really good charts for most of the reps. Their chart on Honor Hold shows you that you can only get rep from killing Shattered Hands from Neutral until friendly, so if you want to maximize your rep gain, without having to do Shattered Halls eighteen times, you may want to kill those guys -- of course at 5 rep per Hand, thats.... um... 600 kills... to friendly, I think. I don't know maybe that would drive me crazy!

Anonymous said...

Great Blog Eternal - it is good to know I am not the only one. From gettin my hunter to level 35 before I realised I was supposed to be training my pet - to pulling every boss in UBRS because i right clicked with the mouse - I felt somewhat inadequate for quite some time. If your blog builds into a "why didn't I think of that" for all of thus you will be doing us all a great turn.

People may not chose to go as far as I did, disabling the right click button on my instance mouse, but I thought it was a good idea at the time

Cheers

Fatboy on Khaz Modan and Aman'thul (still cant make up my mind)