Tuesday, September 11, 2007

What's in a name?

Mervyn was my very first WoW character and picking his name was not easy. I spent quite a bit of time deciding what name to use. I started thinking about literature that I liked and what names are in the books that I enjoy. Then my eye fell upon Neil Gaiman's Sandman sitting next to my desk (I was re-reading the graphic novel as the computer loaded and updated Wow onto my machine). I figured the name Morpheus, while great, would probably be taken (it wasn't) but it was too obvious a name, so I went with the Pumpkin head you see above: Mervyn.

Since then all of my Alliance Alts have "Vyn" in them: I have Kelvyn, Vynesa and Sevyn, who is named after George Costanza's yet to be born son, named after Micky Mantle.

Hunters also have to come up with names for their pets, so we have to find names fairly often. Since I have three pets I break up naming responsibilities thusly: My 8 year old gets to name the tank pet, which is a Warp Stalker named "Crystal", my 5 year old gets to name the balanced pet, a Dragonhowk named "Barraki" after a Lego Bionicles character and I name the DPS pet, but I do not currently have a DPS pet, as Kulkinski my scorpid is taking up that slot (named after a famous mob poisoner), but when he is nerfed, I will have to come up with a new name for my Ravager -- I'm thinking "Kodos" as they vaguely remind me of the aliens from The Simpsons. Any thoughts? How did you come up with your name?

2 comments:

Exanimo said...

My personal name is something i ran through a Latin translator meaning something like "to kill" or "to slay". Less original i found out once i checked out the use of the name on other servers, i was the first tho ;)

My pets have often funny but sorta matching names; Bacon for my boar, Barcode for my striped Cat, Measles for my spotted Scorpid, Bigfoot for my previously owned bear (may he enjoy his pension in the Feralas fields).
How to name the in 2.2 tamable Ravagers is still the question, often think one up on the fly.. seems to work.

Exa @ fulltimewow.blogspot.com

Guitgoin said...

Nothin too fancy with my name; made it so it would be like get-goin, but with the guit from guitar. It has to do with my slight obsession with the guitar. The only bad thing about it is that everyone messes it up lol.

And for the names of my pets, I went with characters from Blue Team in Red vs Blue. My scorpid's name is Tucker, Caboose is my kitty, and for my boar I have Sheila (the tank). Though when I tamed a ravager I had it named Danse Macabre, meaning dance of death. I didn't like having the name being something I couldn't easily call my pet though, and ended up ditching him for Caboose.