Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Guild vs. Fellowship

So here is a pet peeve of mine:

Guilds are not guilds. The guilds in World of Warcraft are not what I consider the definition of what a guild should be. And I don't mean your dictionary, booklearning definition, I'm talking about the "Truthiness" definition. The one that comes from your gut.

And my gut tells me that a guild is a group of like minded people who share a similar profession, goals and the willingness to learn. Sort of like a trade union for character classes.

If it were up to me, I would decree that all Guilds should immediately call themselves Fellowships, since to me that is a more accurate term for these loosely conjoined friends who go raiding together and I then I would allow the creation of character class specific guilds.

And there would not be just one Guild for each class -- there could be dozens or hundreds of Guilds, and while there would be no guild bank or Guild Housing, there would be a guild forum, members on-line to ask questions and it would create a new way to for Fellowships to solicited new members.

Think about it: Your Fellowship needs more warriors for raiding, you as a warrior could go to your warrior guild and start recruiting from the people you have met there.

I just find that, while I like everyone in my guild, I get along especially well in my guild with all the other people who have Hunters as their mains. I also find that I mostly enjoy blogs by other hunters, because what they are saying pertains directly to my character and making me a better player.

Guild or Fellowship or whatever you call it, I think that the more communication you have with others of your own class the more ideas and brainstorming you can do and the more you can achieve and learn.

1 comment:

Exanimo said...

I suppose a Guild of Heroes is an option aswell which would apply to most non-specific Guilds.
But being part of a class-guild/fellowship besides your Guild of Heroes does seem like a nice idea, it would be nice to share more class specific ideas or just talk to a class/people you can easier relate to.