Thursday, October 11, 2007

That Sinking Feeling Part II

When I started this endeavor, I kept having these great ideas of things to write about. Not just the "here's what happened to me today" posts, but the "Really helpful, really useful, boy was I dumb but you can learn from my mistakes" posts.

I had a whole bunch of things to talk about, and now... I can't remember them.

I really, really want this blog to be more than entertaining. A place to help us learn something... or at least make everyone go "Yeah, I feel that way too dude!"

But I am finding it harder and harder to write posts of substance and so I write less and less and so people visit less and less and then it just dwindles away to nothing.

I'm not sure if anyone noticed but I removed a blog from my blog roll this week. Huntard with Cheese went away from my blog roll because he hasn't posted since August and I figured if he wasn't updating, there was no point in having a link, but I really, really liked his site. I thought he had a weird and snarky quality to his blog that I would love to have in mine if I had the talent for it. I'm not sure why he stopped blogging, maybe he wasn't getting enough hits or maybe it was taking up too much time, but I find it sad.

My blog colleague Exanimo from Full Time Wow Addict has a recent post questioning the usefulness of his blog.

And I can certainly understand where he is coming from. And even though I have in-game friends who have told me how much they like the blog, so I know some people are reading and enjoying it, I can't help but have that sinking feeling again that I have nothing important or even entertaining to impart and I should just stop doing this.

But I probably won't, I guess I'm just channeling my mother, trying to guilt my readers into saying something nice about me, even though you're already here and reading this.

So, you come here, you read what I have to say, would it kill you to show me your affection through a comment or two, is that too much to ask?

6 comments:

Breana said...

EN:

I think you have been bitten hard by the "Anxious" bug. He comes in the middle of the night and fills you head with every freaking doubt you ever had regarding one subject, this time your blog.

The following is being said, not because of a plea for comments, but because I know where you are coming from and I, personally, really enjoy reading your blog.

Don't beat yourself about not having "enough" substantial posts. I find each of them insightful and enjoyable to read. Each brings a bit of your experience and allow us, your readers, to experience them with you; like your post regarding the AH and your hacked account.

I read your blog for several reasons, but mainly, because it has a unique and inviting voice. I am immensely turned-off by dry posts that spend two or three pages listing mathematical equations. Don’t get me wrong, A LOT of people like that. But I prefer reading about the human element, and you bring that to the table. That is why I read it.

Keep it going and just remember, the first person you need to write for is yourself. Write about what you want to write about. If you only want to write posts that meet your definition of “substantial”, then do that. Those who love you site will come back. Hell, I waited two weeks for you to get back from Hawaii. I will wait a couple weeks for each post.

<3
Bre

Anonymous said...

Ditto with Bre's comments.I have been a "lurker" I enjoy reading but am not good with comments. Your work is appreciated! Please keep it up. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I don't have a Google account or a blogger account, and frankly don't want to take the time to set them up. However, I would be sad to see the EN go, and so, am forced to comment without one.

EN has become my number 2 favorite blog behind BRK. While I enjoy reading both primarily for their entertainment value, I also enjoy BRK's for his uber-hunter knowledge, and yours for your n00bishness.

I am a married father of 2 working as a petroleum engineer. WoW has become my vice of choice over the past 10 months, and I like to read up on the WoW blogs at work while in the elevator, waiting for meetings, and yes, when nature calls. With very little time for the actual game, it's great to hear there are others like me that will never be able to devote the time to the game to get out of eternal n00bishness. So I guess I read for the connection with other mature WoWers that continue to goof up daily. I AM NOT ALONE! Thanks EN.

Ravehn and Mist
48 NE BM Hunter and 47 Ghost Saber
Muradin

Jesse said...

Dude, stop it. The blog rawks, keep trucking. EVERYONE was a n00b at one point, so your audience is like 10 million people.

Just pretend they are naked and you'll be fine.

Exanimo said...

Was bitten by the same bug probably... had waaaay too much work to do and was wondering if my blog time wasnt spend better on something else.
I decided to at least inform my readers (if any) that i was in doubt and not to stop posting, luckily some people did reply... i figured just a small percentage actually comments now and then so that must mean there are actually people out there reading the nonsense i write.

Keep me compagny on those slower days EN, dont u quit on me... :P

Anonymous said...

I got here from a link on Breana's blog...I got to her blog from the Egotistical Priest. Both of those occurred today. A couple months ago, I accidentally ran across BigRedKitty, a link from whom led me to Ego (and all kinds of other cool WoW blogs). Then I started my own. And quickly felt as you did. But I also noticed my page views were climbing (even though I had no direct evidence that anyone was actually reading my blog, in terms of tons of comments).

But then I remembered something from my days of moderating and administering gaming forums: For every poster, there are at least 10 lurkers...and the suspicion is the ratio of lurkers to posters increases at a rate greater than linearally.

So keep on keepin' on! You've gained at least ONE new reader today. :D