Thursday, October 25, 2007

Blogs are weird

Take a look at the top of this page. Go Ahead, I'll wait.................................. ....................... ........................ ................................ ..................................... ...................... did you see the "Search Blog | Flag Blog | Next Blog»" Thingy?

Go ahead and hit "Next Blog" a few times and see what you get. I'll still be here when you get back. [WARNING: Some sites may not be safe for work.]
Did you see them? There are Thousands and thousands more just like them, blogs discussing people passions, lives, banalities and irregularities.

Outside of WoW there are a few blogs I go to on a regular basis, a few more on an irregular basis but the huge pile of dross that seems to clog just the arteries of blogger.com is astounding!

I can understand if you want to create a blog to put up pictures of your baby/children so that family and friends can keep tabs on whats going on, but when you start trying to get your baby blog listed on Technorati so complete strangers can watch your children grow up... well thats just wrong on many levels.

Then there are the obsessed fan sites.. people who just post hundreds of images/videos of their object of desire -- I'm not sure whether they want the world to know how great their subject is or they want their subject to notice that they have a stalker?

There are also some neat finds, but usually they are within their own community. I found a site for a Batik Artists who talked about her work and technique and linked to other artists. I've also found television writers, who talk about their work. The first real blog I found, many years ago, was Wil Wheaton's, you know Wesley Crusher from Star Trek: The Next Generation, I don't read it anymore but when I was reading it, I found it quite entertaining.

It's just that if I I hit the "Next Blog" link 50 times, I will get 15 blogs not in English, 7 blogs trying to sell me something (or with lots of links to p0rn), 10 that are total gibberish, 15 that neither me or anyone I know would find interesting, 2 strange conglomerations of videos and 1 that I will take a minute or two to look at and never bother to look at again. In all the times the I have hit this "next blog" button above, (Which I do when I'm bored or in a particularly masochistic mood) I have never, ever found one that I have ever wanted to go back to.

So... what is my point? What is my point? I don't know I guess I see these other blogs and I think that exactly "What is their point?" and I guess I feel lucky that I am part of a larger on-line community that appreciates that I have something to contribute to our passion.

We few, we happy few, we band of WoW players, we have a community, a community that uses the same medium as our blogs (our computers, our connection to the internet), so it is tangential for us to use blogs as a means to divulge information or share tips and tricks. And therefore I happen to think that my blog, my readers, my community is different from the cacophony of voices in the blogsophere. [Edit: Would you believe when I wrote that above paragraph I had no idea that today was St. Crispin's Day?]

So I guess my point is, I appreciate being able to write and I am glad that there are people who appreciate me.

Oh, and hey on Tuesday in Kara the [Worgen Claw Necklace] dropped for me. A huge upgrade! And I think that was the last thing any of use needed from Attunmen, so I think we will be skipping him from now on.

1 comment:

Exanimo said...

You're falling behind m8... get some posts up :)
(i'm afraid im gonna do more blogging soon if i don't get something to read ^.^)