Thursday, October 18, 2007

How I Roll -- Macro Edition

I know I like to hear about other people's play styles, especially other Hunters, but really anyone. I like to know what macros they use, what keys are bound, what add-ons, etc. So I am starting a continuing series called "How I Roll" -- and today is the macro addition.

First a caveat: As a n00b it took me a long time to discover the usefulness of macros in-game (I used to use them all the time in Lotus 1-2-3 -- am I dating myself?) but my play and DPS really improved when I started using them, so if you don't use a shot rotation macro (for hunters) or any class appropriate macros, you may not playing up to your full ability.

Okay, I'm gonna talk about my macros and if you get some ideas - great, if not, you've only wasted two minutes!

Shot Rotation Macro:
This is my Shot Rotation Macro.
There are many like it, but this one is MINE.
My Macro is my best friend. It is my life.
I must fire my bow true.
I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me
Sorry got a little side tracked there -- much apologies to the USMC, semper fi boys!

/castsequence reset=2 Auto shot, Arcane Shot, Steady Shot, Auto Shot, Steady Shot, Auto Shot, Steady Shot
/castrandom [target=pettarget, exists] Kill Command


You'll notice there is no multi-shot in this rotation -- that is on purpose so that I do not break CC. I have Multi-shot keybound to no.2 and throw it in when needed, and it usually doesn't mess up my rotation too bad. (To tailor your own Macro to your weapon speed, I found this guide very useful.)

Now -- here is my little secret that I use with my macro. In addition to binding it to the "1" key, I have bound the macro to my scroll wheel on my mouse. I just spin that sucker all day long and that macro keeps going.

I am afraid that one day I will want to zoom in on something that I have targeted and start a pull and wipe my raid/party... but everyone knows I'm a n00b, so when that happens, they'll all make fun of me -- virtually tussle my hair and forgive me.

For misdirection I set my focus as our Main Tank and can knock this one off when ever I feel the need to add a little bit more aggro to the mix (and if no focus exists, my pet gets the aggro):
#show Misdirection
#showtooltip Misdirection
/cast [button:2] Distracting Shot; [target=focus, help] Misdirection; [help] Misdirection; [target=pet, exists] Misdirection;

I usually use MD in conjunction with this macro below to max out threat -- just have to watch out for global cool down on the timing, but it leaves me only one button to press.
/castsequence reset=5 Distracting Shot, Arcane Shot, Multi-Shot, Auto-Shot, Steady Shot

I have other macros, but I don't use them as often and I find I change them around a bit as I need them. I'm trying to learn more about macro writing and wowwiki has a nice guide. Even Blizz is getting into the act with more Macro info -- and macro flexibility should be increased with the release of 2.3. Even if you don't want to make them, copy and paste them, there are many sites that warehouse macros (that's where I got the misdirection macro from.)

Hope this helps your game!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the first link! I've been wanting to play around with macros, but I've never gotten around to it. I'm still pretty much a noob myself when it comes to the finer technical points of gameplay.

Webmosher said...

Here is a tip for your scrollwheel macro. If you change the macro a bit:

/castsequence [target=target,harm] reset=2 Auto shot, Arcane Shot, Steady Shot, Auto Shot, Steady Shot, Auto Shot, Steady Shot
/castrandom [target=pettarget, exists] Kill Command
/stopmacro [combat,nomodifier]
/script CameraZoomIn(2)

Now, I didn't test this specifically yet since I don't use a shot macro, but I use something similar for intimidate (scroll up) and mend pet (scroll down). The idea here is that when in combat, the macro stops before the script line. When out of combat, the zoom works normally (unless you use a modifier key). It also prevents your shot rotation from triggering unless the target is hostile. This probably needs a bit of tuning, but should work nicely.

The Eternal n00bie said...

@loronar:

Your welcome that's what we're trying to do here at n00bs Incorporated!

@webmosher
Thats cool -- I will try it. My fear is tho that I will be targeting something and try and scroll to look at it and start combat -- so maybe it's just best if I find another key for my zoom function.

Exanimo said...

Aint you a beastmaster?
Unless you have a very slow ranged weapon you are likely to clip your Autoshots... Marksman should (if possible) indeed weave 2 shots in between Autoshots.
I as a BM use a mere Autoshot/Steadyshot rotation.

/script UIErrorsFrame:Hide()
/castsequence reset=3 Auto Shot, Steady Shot(Rank 1)
/castrandom [target=pettarget, nodead] Kill Command
/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear(); UIErrorsFrame:Show()


Banish/Shackle/Misdirect/etc macro:
What it basicly does: If u hold Shift and press the macro u set your focus target.
When u later press the macro without holding shift u banish the preset target.
Replace the spellname for other options (Fear, Shackle, etc)

/cast [nomodifier,target=focus,exists,nodead] Banish
/stopmacro [nomodifier:shift]
/focus [modifier:shift]
/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Focus target set!")


Optional you could add ;[nomodifier] Banish after Banish to Banish (or whatever) your current target if your focus target is dead.

Exanimo said...

As i am in a good mood i'll share another one :)
This time one i use daily on my Warrior alt:

Warrior Charge/Intercept/Intervene macro
I've put this this macro on my bar and bound a key to it ("F" easily accesable).
What it does: it uses Intercept, Charge or Intervene.. depending on the stance you are in.
The Intervene part as the Intervene macro in it, choosing your targetstarget if you have a mob targeted or otherwise your current target when its friendly.
Besides this i've added dismount so it will dismount on the first keypress and charge/Intercept/Intervene on the next. If not mounted it will do it directly.

/castsequence [mounted] Reins of the Black War Tiger; [stance:1] Charge(Rank 3); [stance:3] Intercept; [stance:2, help] Intervene; [stance:2, target=targettarget] Intervene

The Eternal n00bie said...

Exanimo:

Thanks for the Macros & thoughts.

If you haven't been to exanimo's blog: http://fulltimewow.blogspot.com/
Check it out.

I use the long, long macro which is basically the same thing you have just so I have arcane shot fire when it's CD timer is up... doesn't always work, but I'm kinda of used to it by now.

Anonymous said...

One other comment - you have steady shot firing after arcane in your macro - you want to reverse that.

Arcane shot trips the global cooldown of 1.5 seconds, which will push back the casting of your steady but not your auto... so if you go Auto, Steady, ARCANE, Auto...., the auto shot will go off by itself after the arcane, and you'll have a bit of delay casting the next steady but you won't be losing an Autoshot while doing so

The Eternal n00bie said...

Thanks -- thats good advice -- Will do!